The Troutville Volunteer Fire Department Citizen’s Fire Academy is accepting applications for its inaugural class.
The Citizen’s Fire Academy is a way the volunteer fire department is giving community members a chance to get an overview of what the Troutville Volunteer Fire Department does, as well as increase the public’s knowledge of fire prevention, fire education, 911 education and how to obtain life saving skills like CPR.
The academy class is limited to 12 students and spans a fun-filled five weeks, TVFD member Scott Johnston said. Anyone interested must be a Botetourt County resident and over the age of 18.
Those interested in getting an inside look at the local fire department may apply by going to the Recruit Application on the department’s website at https://tvfd.org/citizens-fire-academy/ and clicking on the link to the application.
The agenda for the five sessions follows:
- Session 1: Friday, Nov. 3 from 6-9 p.m.: Welcome. History of the Department, Station Tour and Apparatus Overview, Emergency Communication Center Tour, Ride Along Assignments
- Session 2: Tuesday, Nov. 14 from 6-9 p.m.: Fire Ground Operations, Fire Hoses, Water Supply, Vehicle Extrication
- Session 3: Tuesday, Nov. 28 from 6-9 p.m.: Fire Prevention and Education, Fire Extinguishers
- Session 4: Tuesday, Dec. 5 from 6-9 p.m.: Basic First Aid, CPR
- Session 5: Friday, Dec. 8 from 6-8 p.m.: Graduation
For more information, email [email protected].