The new roundabout on US 11 at Exit 150 is scheduled to open Saturday night, Sept. 23— weather permitting.
Botetourt County and the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) held a ribbon-cutting today (Wednesday) to celebrate the opening of the new roundabout, northbound on-ramp to I-81 and the dedicated turn lane to northbound US 220 from I-81.
This portion of the $46.7 million project is scheduled to open overnight this weekend.
When the new roundabout opens, it will include the following traffic changes:
- The new roundabout will connect US 11, Gateway Crossing and I-81 northbound to enhance traffic flow and increase capacity on the interchange.
- The new signals previously installed at the US 11/220/220A intersection will become active.
- A new northbound on-ramp to I-81 accessible through the roundabout on US 11 is designed to provide safer access to the interstate. The northbound on-ramp to I-81 directly from US 220 will close.
- Drivers exiting I-81 northbound onto Exit 150B towards Daleville and Fincastle will use the new dedicated right-turn lane onto northbound US 220 to accommodate the heaviest traffic movement at the US 11/220/220A intersection. To allow for free-flowing traffic to move from the off-ramp onto northbound US 220, this dedicated right lane will not have a traffic signal.
- A detour for southbound US 11 will be in place as the next phase of the project begins. Southbound US 11 between the roundabout and the intersection of US 11/220/220A will be closed to traffic. Drivers needing access to southbound US 11 will use the roundabout to detour through Gateway Crossing to continue southbound.
See the accompanying graphic and synopsis for details.
The Next Phase
During the next phase of construction, crews will be working on the following:
- Replacing US 11’s center turn lane between the roundabout and the US 11/220/220A intersection with a raised median with no left turns allowed.
- Modifying Exit 150A to allow right turns only onto US 11 southbound to eliminate hazardous merges onto US 220 southbound toward Bonsack.
- Removing the access to northbound I-81’s on-ramp from US 220.
Drivers may see periodic lane closures in the work zone area. Signs and message boards will alert drivers and direct traffic. VDOT urges drivers to:
- Pay close attention and follow signs and pavement markings that will guide them through the roundabout and interchange.
- Be patient with others as drivers in the area learn to acclimate to the new traffic changes.
VDOT reports the project is on-schedule to be substantially completed by December 2017. Remaining incidental work will continue through summer 2018.
Resources for drivers on how to use the roundabout, including graphics and videos, and more information about the project are available on VDOT’s website at http://www.virginiadot.org/exit150Improvements.