Empowering individuals to build a stronger community.
Do you love the outdoors enjoy stories about the outdoors? Do you ever want to write your own story about your experiences or fantasies? If so, don’t miss Diana Christopulos who is the featured speaker at the historic Old Brick Hotel on Thursday, March 18 at 6 p.m. Come on by after work between 6 and 7 p.m., have some refreshments, and join the Friends of the Library for Diana’s story.
Diana got the wild idea of writing a novel while hiking the Appalachian Trail. She completed that hike and is currently president of the Appalachian Trail Club. She attended the well- known Tinker Mountain Writer’s workshop and she did complete that novel. The workshop helped her learn the difference from writing fiction and writing fact. Her talk is entitled “Fact or Fiction? Writing in Two Genres”.
For 40 years, Diana has been publishing nonfiction in her career as a journalist, but the journey on the AT led her to a new journey in writing. The Friends of the Library is proud to host this event where Ms. Christopulos will share her journey with us. Everyone is welcome!
Diana Christopulos holds degrees from Cornell University and Binghamton University. During her paid working life, she owned a management consulting business, waited tables, washed dishes, taught college history, ran a corporate human resources department, and worked for tips as a whitewater rafting guide on the Green River in Utah and the Rio Grande in Texas.
She serves on the boards of the Blue Ridge Land Conservancy and the Council of Community Services and is past president of the Greater Roanoke Valley Asthma and Air Quality Coalition and is currently president of the Roanoke Valley Cool Cities Coalition.
A native of Wyoming, Diana has always enjoyed playing outside. She and her partner Mark McClain have canoed thousands of miles of American rivers. They live in Salem, Virginia.
Library Dates to remember:
- May 18 – Old Brick Hotel Friends of Library meeting with Diana 6 -8 p.m.
- Now till May 18 – enter the drawing for the kindle fire to be given away at the Friends of Library meeting
- May 15 – Deadline for Photography Contest Entries Theme: “Spring In Craig County”. Winner will be announced at May 18 meeting and the entries will be shown at the meeting.
- May 29 – Bake Sale on porch of Old Hotel 10-11 am during the New Castle Memorial Day Program
- June 12 – 6 p.m. at the library board of trustees meeting
- Now until July 1: Friends of the Library membership drive; What other membership can you get for only $5 that helps out so much?
- May- August Books and Baseball Program. Stop in the library for further details.